FYNNMOOD GOLDFISH FORUM

Simple Joys of Fishkeeping
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 am 
TUNA
TUNA

LauLanChu wrote:
Happen to bump into this 2ft tank cum filter/light package sale. This ready setup is very good in grooming goldfish.

Do you still remember which LFS selling this filter or have you seen something similiar?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 am 

cylap888 wrote:

Do you still remember which LFS selling this filter or have you seen something similiar?

Thanks
Saw this in

LAM HONG AQUARIUM
BLK 163 ANG MO KIO AVE 4
#01-476
Singapore 560163
Tel: 64525780

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 pm 
JEDI
JEDI

Yun feng at tampines have something like this also..
Blk 824 Tampines Street 81 #01-12 S520824

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 pm 
TUNA
TUNA

HNLim wrote:
I saw this set-up about 2 years ago at Aquastar. Howerever this set-up do not have spares readily available.

What I did was to get them from Seaview. Plenty of spares for future expansion. For a 2 ft tank, I use a 3 ft filter and cut off the end and only use the tray set-up. For a 3 ft tank I use a 4 ft set-up and do like wise. If you have a long tank, you might need to get aluminium brackets to span across the length of the tank to support the filter. The more trays of coral chips the better.

If you have an additional glass strip at the center of the tank, then you might not need the aluminium angles.

Are you using something like, Mr. Aqua 3ft stackable filter and cut it to fit a 2ft tank? Do you have picture of your setup? Would like to learn how you cut the filter. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:05 pm 
JEDI
JEDI

anyone here using OHF, stackable type..but have plants growing inside??
i notice mine have....but dunno what greenies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:19 pm 
crossback wrote:
anyone here using OHF, stackable type..but have plants growing inside??
i notice mine have....but dunno what greenies...

To have plants growing inside your OHF means your filter are expose to sunlight, and that's a good thing.

As you know, plants will absorb the ammonia. i have algae inside and wild weed (plants) on the outside.

In short, it is a good thing, if your OHF is a stack system, it gives a very good indication of your water. The top trays will tend to have more greeny and as the water travel down before flowing back to the tank, the bottom tray usually have no, or less greeny, this indicate that your water is free from ammonia before returning back to the tank.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:41 pm 
TUNA
TUNA

How to reduce micro bubbles coming out from OHF? Is pump rate too fast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 pm 
cylap888 wrote:
How to reduce micro bubbles coming out from OHF? Is pump rate too fast?

The system is not mature yet. Once mature, the bubbles will disappear. Very important at this stage, reduce load or reduce feeding, if not, do daily half tank water change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am 
TUNA
TUNA

I have setup a 2FT 4 tray stackable filter running with 1800L/hr pump. Is the pump rate too fast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 am 
Actually, you should see droplet of water instead of runninng water from tray to tray. That's is generally the way to judge whether the flow is at the right speed or not.

Base on my experience, if the pump rate is slightly high it is not much an issue.

Remember a secret is trickle filtration is the height and the media used. smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:38 pm 
TUNA
TUNA

wolverine wrote:
Actually, you should see droplet of water instead of runninng water from tray to tray. That's is generally the way to judge whether the flow is at the right speed or not.

Base on my experience, if the pump rate is slightly high it is not much an issue.

Remember a secret is trickle filtration is the height and the media used. smile.

Thanks for your guidance. My filter at this stage is like water coming out of shower head.

Should I get a control valve or get a lower rated pump?

Which media is best to use? I have so far in my OHF

first tray: coarse spong, filter wool
second tray: fine sponge, coarse sponge
third tray: bio balls
fourth tray: coral chips
OHF water outlet tray: coarse sponge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm 

For trickle tower the flow rate got to be well control, else your water would overflow very easily when you wool get dirty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:50 am 
DRAGON
DRAGON

Hey guys,
We have lots of expert on trickle tower filter in this forum, does any one has any advice to how to reduce the noise on this type filter?

I mean noise is a lot and basically makes it the worst type to use in your house or apartment. It got to be a way to make it quite or at least less noisy, any idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 am 
cylap888 wrote:
Thanks for your guidance. My filter at this stage is like water coming out of shower head.
Should I get a control valve or get a lower rated pump?
Which media is best to use? I have so far in my OHF

first tray: coarse spong, filter wool
second tray: fine sponge, coarse sponge
third tray: bio balls
fourth tray: coral chips
OHF water outlet tray: coarse sponge.

If u don't mind, i would suggest you get a new pump.
Do note, if u intend to stack the tray higher in future, some time 'low-rate' pump would not have the strength to push the water up, while the 'high-rate' pump is able to do so, and by the time the water is out, the rate is much slower than rated (just nice).

Bio-balls in a single tray would have little or no effect, in my personal opinion another tray of sponge is good.

NOTE: Do not treat trickle filtration system as bio-filter (despite it is at some degree). But build it with the mind that you are building a mechanical-filter.

NOTE: The right kind of sponge to use is the secret of the trickle filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 am 
alexp wrote:
Hey guys,
We have lots of expert on trickle tower filter in this forum, does any one has any advice to how to reduce the noise on this type filter?

I mean noise is a lot and basically makes it the worst type to use in your house or apartment. It got to be a way to make it quite or at least less noisy, any idea?

The biggest and only problems with trickle filtration system are:
* Ugly
* Noisy

Noise come from two area,
(1) The outlets (from the tank to the top tray)
(2) The trickle from the bottom tray to the tank

(1) You can tie a plastic bag (strips) around the outlets, as the water rush out, it is guided by these plastic bag strips, that would reduce the impact of the rushing water noise.

(2) Get a 'collection tray' to collect the falling droplets and then flow it down the tank through a pipe or holes. Can put sponge on the collection tray to silence the falling droplets.
(2) Or simply, add the water level near the base of the bottom tray (minimum distance between the droplet and the tank water surface = minimum noise). Of course to do that, you have to design a way that the trays (tower) sits a few inches into the tank.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next